- What are some things that you feel uncertain about right now?
- What do you think you would’ve been feeling in Mary’s shoes, if you lived in Jesus’ time and saw him go to the cross?
- Do you feel like you keep your eyes on Jesus? How can you fix your eyes on Jesus more on a daily basis?
- When was the last time you felt God’s presence?
- What is your next “happy scared” step that you need to take?
Read Hebrews 1b-3:
And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.
The passage describes Jesus as being seated next to the throne of God. The temple of the Old Testament had no place for the priests to sit because their work was never done; there were always sacrifices to make and sins to atone for. The fact that Jesus is seated next to the throne implies that the work is finished. His sacrifice on the cross was enough for us. The race we have ahead of us includes struggles, trials, and joys.
- Do you see Jesus as the one who initiates and perfects your faith?
- What are some ways we can keep our eyes on Jesus for the race ahead of us?
- What does it look like to “run with endurance” toward Jesus?
Make The Change
- Share your “happy scared” step with a friend. Ask that friend to hold you accountable for making the next step.
- Think of the last time you felt God’s presence. Do something to go back to that at least one time in the next week.