- Are you aware of your “shadow side”? Where have you seen your shadow side at play in your life?
- When was a time you had shadow motivations in doing something that seemed good on the outside?
- How can we overcome the shame that comes with having an impure motive cross our minds?
Use these scriptures to help combat your shadow and bring your motives back to Jesus:
Read 1 Peter 5:8-9
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
Read John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Read Genesis 4:7
You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.
He reveals deep and mysterious things
and knows what lies hidden in darkness,
though he is surrounded by light.
I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors,
for you have given me wisdom and strength.
Make The Change
- Think through your motives this week. Be diligent in exposing the impure motivations and resisting action when they appear.
- Have you identified your shadow? What is one step you can take to cut off its life support and light up the shadow?