- When was a time that you had to trust God’s power in a tough situation in your life?
- In your life, what have you tried to hold up on your own?
- Who are people in your life that can help raise up your arms and remind you of God’s power? How can you continue to trust and rely on those people to help you?
- Think about the differences between what it means to raise up your own name or names of the world, and what it means to raise up the name of Jesus. What does each feel like and how does it affect your relationships?
- What’s the name on your banner? Will it last from generation to generation?
Read Matthew 7:24-27
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.
In this story, Jesus uses this example to describe the difference between building your house, or your life, on a solid foundation vs. a weak one. Other things we put our trust in — such as our career, a political candidate, significant other or spouse — would be considered a weak foundation, while God is our solid foundation.
- What happened to the men who built their houses on different foundations?
- Just like both houses faced storms, we will face storms in this life. But we can decide what to build our house on to be able to weather those storms. Why is it difficult to choose the strongest foundation?
- What are you building your foundation on?
Make The Change
- Define what power means to you. Take some time to actively start applying that definition to the way you define God and His character
- Ask God for His power in an area of your life where you would have otherwise put the weight on your own shoulders
- What’s the name on your banner? What could you do to put God’s name on your banner?